top of page

Discretionary Housing Payment - Council Lists

A discretionary housing payment (DHP) can help to cover housing costs for:

- A rent shortfall

- Rent deposits

- Rent in advance if you need to move home

DHP’s can’t be used to cover council tax, even if you get Local Council Tax Support. DHP’s generally do not cover rent arrears or deductions for sanctions or overpayments.

You do not have to pay back any money you receive in a DHP.

To be eligible for a DHP, you must be receiving housing benefit or the Universal Credit housing element.

You need to tell the council:

· Why you need help, for example, if you are at risk of homelessness

· What has caused the problem that has led to you needing a DHP.

For example, you might have a deduction because of having a spare bedroom, known as the bedroom tax or you have a general rent shortfall.

Every council has a different application process for DHP. The list below provides information and application lists for Liverpool Council, Knowsley Council, Sefton Council, Wirral Council, St Helens Council and Halton Council.

If you’re unsure which Council you’re in, use this link below to type in your postcode:

DHP by Council.

Liverpool City Council

Knowsley Council

Sefton Council

St Helens

Wirral Council

Halton Council

Here at Vauxhall Law Community Information Centre we can help you to fill out a DHP or make one on your behalf. Please get in touch by calling our office if you require assistance regarding a DHP: 0151 360 7777 or email us at

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page